Click the ‘+’ signs to expand the headings to learn more..
Jun 5 – 16, 2023
Pranayama Intensive outline
- During this 10-day intensive we will start to hone in on single practices that will increase in duration during the course of the week. This course is oriented towards intermediate and advanced practitioners and will include kumbhakas and bandhas.
- You can expect 40-45 minutes of practice each day, followed by a short talk on yoga philosophy and science, and time for questions and answers.
- In the Hatha Yoga texts we often see that one does not do many, many practices, but rather that a practitioner (sadhaka) chooses one or two practices and does them repeatedly for several months at a time until the effects make themselves apparent.
- In the Yoga traditions transformation comes from repetition and time.
- We will take a glimpse into how one can go about learning the subtleties of practice and growing one’s own inner experience of pranayama.
- This is not a certification course; it is one of our spiritual practice (sadhana) offerings.
Schedule and Times
All times are USA Eastern Time
Monday June 5 to Friday June 9: Daily 6:00 – 7:00 AM Eastern Time (USA)
Weekend Break – Self practice.
Monday June 12 to Friday June 16: Daily 6:00 – 7:00 AM Eastern Time (USA)
Who are the teachers?
Eddie Stern and Robert Moses
Who is this intensive course for?
This course is geared towards intermediate or advanced pranayama practitioners. One should already have a working knowledge of the three bandhas and be comfortable with short breath retentions.
What are the precautions?
You should not join this course if you are pregnant, have had recent abdominal surgery, have high blood pressure, lung disease, or heart disease. There are other pranayamas that are suitable for people with these conditions, but the breath holds and other practices done in this course would be contraindicative.
What to observe during the Intensive?
- This course will be a sadhana intensive, which means it’s an opportunity for you to be in a retreat-like practice in your own home. While you may still, of course, have to go to work and take care of your kids or pets, there are certain guidelines that you will want to follow.
- Get at least 7-8 hours of sleep per night.
- Eat a clean diet – vegetarian is good, but if you are not vegetarian, at least try to eat food that is clean. No fried food, heavy foods, or an excess of oils, sugars, or refined food products.
- Please avoid alcohol.
- Please do not smoke.
- Please avoid narcotics.
- Prepare yourself to be inwardly focused for 10 days.
Pranayamas that will be taught and practiced.